Bicycle safety is something that can easily be overlooked but as more and more cyclists hit the road, it is important for motor vehicles to remember to watch for cyclists and share the road. Bicycles have every right to the roadways that cars and trucks do, thus our eyes should be trained to watch for them as they share the space and travel alongside us.
According to The League of American Bicyclists, the number of bicycle trips rose from just over 1.5 billion in 2001 to 4 billion trips in 2009 in the United States. That’s a more-than-double increase in less than a decade. Consequently, it is important for bicyclists to be aware, alert, and attentive to stay safe.
Car and truck drivers are not always keeping a well-trained eye out for the bicyclists and, as a result, cyclists are frequently injured in motor vehicle accidents. Many of these accidents are ultimately fatal. On average, two people are killed each day as the result of a motor vehicle/bicycle accident, and those numbers are sadly on the rise.
If you were injured or your loved one was killed in a bike accident, contact the Indianapolis bicycle accident lawyers at Wagner Reese for a free consultation. Call (888) 204-8440.
Bicycle Safety Tips
The League of American Bicyclists has five rules for the road:
- Always follow the local rules of the road
- Make sure you ride as expected- don’t make sudden unsafe movements
- Make sure you are visible to others on the road
- Make sure to always be anticipating what others may be doing or planning to do
- Ride with a well-oiled machine- your bike should be in tip-top shape before hitting the road
When tragedy strikes, the Indianapolis bicycle accident lawyers at Wagner Reese can assist you in recovering the compensation you are owed as a result of the injuries you sustained or the wrongful death of a loved one you endured. Just recently, Wagner Reese secured $2.5 million for the widow of a bicyclist who was struck by a motor vehicle and died from his injuries.
Unfortunately, cases like these happen more often than they should. Don’t hesitate to call Wagner Reese for assistance if you or a loved one has been injured or killed in a bicycle accident. We are here to help you recover what is rightfully yours and get back on your feet following this tragedy.
Bicycle Accident Statistics
- In 2010 (the most recent year for figures), 618 people were killed in bicycle accidents; this staggering number requires bicycle safety knowledge.
- In the same year, 52,000 people were injured in bicycle accidents.
- There has been a 2% reduction in bicycle injuries since 1998, but the numbers are still far too high.
- The average cost of injuries and deaths related to bicycle accidents each year is over $4 billion.
Our firm can handle your personal injury or bicycle accident claim with years of experience and proven results.
Call (888) 204-8440 or fill out and submit an online contact form today to request your free initial consultation with our legal team.