Indiana Semi Truck Accident Lawyers
In the United States, there are more than 3 million semi-truck drivers on the roadways operating almost 2 million semi-trucks on a regular basis driving and logging more than 2.5 billion miles every week hauling food, building products, vehicles, commercial products, fuels, and more.
With all of these trucks traveling across the states, there are going to be accidents unfortunately. The NHTSA reports that in 2012, there were 19 fatalities related to large truck crashes in Indiana alone. And while more than 1 fatal truck accident per month in Indiana may seem high, this does not include the many non-fatal, but serious injury car and truck accidents that the personal injury lawyers at Wagner Reese see and handle on a regular basis as well.
Every day in Indiana and across the country, semi-trucks and passenger vehicles share the same roads, but are vastly different in their overall makeup, size, and handling. The average 18-wheeler, when full, is carrying 80,000 pounds, and can be 65 feet long, and 14 feet tall. Compare this to the average passenger vehicle (cars and SUVs) which are 5 to 6 feet wide, 4 to 7 feet tall, and 10 to 20 feet long, and only weigh 3,000 to 6,000 pounds.
TRUCK ACCIDENT STATISTICS
- 78% of all truck accidents occur during weekend hours.
- According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, in 1979, there were 5,684 fatal crashes as a result of large truck crashes, in 2009, there were 2,987.
- The NHTSA reported that in 2012, there were 104,000 people injured as a result of large truck crashes.
- The United States Department of Transportation estimates over 500,000 truck accidents occur every year (all types of trucks)
- In 2011, according to the USDOT, there were almost 275,000 large truck crashes.
With passenger vehicles being just a fraction of the size of the large semi-trucks that drive alongside each other on a daily basis, it is important for both passenger vehicle drivers, and semi-truck drivers to be aware of each other and to safely share the road in order to avoid deadly accidents.
Because of the sheer size and weight of semi-trucks, the vast majority of all truck accidents will result in a fatality or serious injury, mainly because of the physical differences between the two types of vehicles. In fact, statistics have shown that over 95% of all truck accidents will result in a fatality, most often for the individual(s) in the car.
STEPS TO TAKE WHEN YOU ARE INJURED
- Call 911 immediately, or have someone call for you.
- Make sure that you, your passengers, and anyone else are able to remain safe until help arrives. Truck accidents can happen on highways, and other vehicles may be passing by at high rates of speed.
- Contact the semi-truck accident personal injury lawyers at Wagner Reese for assistance with your semi-truck accident claim.
- Never agree to anything, or sign anything without first consulting a lawyer
- Gather and keep all important information such as contact information for all involved parties, insurance information, medical documentation, and all correspondence.
Truck and car accidents do happen, and unfortunately, many individuals are seriously injured when involved in a truck accident, or are killed when involved in a truck accident. If you or a loved one have been injured, or if you have suffered the wrongful death of a loved one due to a truck accident, you need an experienced law firm that has a truck accident expert and that can assist you and your family in recovering the damages you are owed for the expenses you have incurred as a result of the accident.
A Note About Recovery Limits
In 2012, Indiana put a compensation cap on non-economic based damages. For personal injury cases in the state of Indiana, any case paid by the government may not exceed an award of $5,000,000. The Indiana Supreme Court is currently contesting this cap as unconstitutional, so these limits may soon be abolished.
About the Lawyers
Stephen Wagner and Jason Reese can handle your semi truck accident or personal injury claim with years of experience and proven results. Call the law firm of Wagner Reese today 888-710-9377 for your FREE consultation!