Indiana Drunk Driving Accident Injury Lawyers
1 in 3. 1 in 3 auto accident deaths in the United States is the result of drunk driving.
1 in 3, that is an incredibly high number considering that of the over 80 individuals that lose their life as a result of a motor vehicle accident every day in the United States, a third of those, or more than 1 per hour, are killed by a drunk driver.
In addition to alcohol impaired driving, almost 20% of all motor vehicle accidents are a result of drivers impaired by other substances (although they are often used in conjunction with alcohol). As alarming as these statistics are, the numbers don’t seem to be improving much.
If you are one of the families suffering from the repercussions of a drunk driving accident, call Wagner Reese today and let our team assist you with your recovery while you focus on healing.
DRUNK DRIVING AT A GLANCE
- According to the CDC, in 2010, over 100,000,000 adults reported that they had gotten behind the wheel after drinking.
- Almost 1.5 million people were arrested in 2010 for DUI (driving under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol).
- In 2010, approximately 1,200 children under the age of 14 were killed in auto accidents, and approximately 1 in 6 that were killed in an auto accident involved an intoxicated driver.
According to the CDC, while recognized tactics aimed at stopping individuals before they hurt someone through sobriety checkpoints, and measures designed to stop repeat offenders such as ignition interlocks, the best way to protect yourself is to drive defensively and to make sure that you and your passengers wear seatbelts.
However, if you or a family member is injured or killed by a drunk driver or driver under the influence, the result of sustaining serious injuries or dealing with the loss of a loved one, has long-lasting impacts on families.
STEPS TO TAKE WHEN YOU ARE INJURED
- Get medical attention as soon as possible- don’t delay when it comes to your health
- Call or email Wagner Reese for help with your personal injury case
- Do not sign or agree to anything without the assistance of a lawyer
- Prepare your case by keeping any and all important information about your case that may assist in claiming your compensation (this may include taking notes about the accident, taking pictures of the scene, gathering statements from witnesses – all these things can be done with the assistance of a personal injury lawyer)
Drunk and Impaired Driving Accident Facts:
- One person is injured in a drunk driving accident almost every 90 seconds.
- 248 of motor vehicle accident fatalities in 2012 were drunk-driving related.
- In 2011, 226 children were killed in crashes involving drunk drivers. Over half of those children were in the car with the impaired person.
A Note About Recovery Limits
In 2012, Indiana put a compensation cap on non-economic based damages. For personal injury cases in the state of Indiana, any case paid by the government may not exceed an award of $5,000,000. The Indiana Supreme Court is currently contesting this cap as unconstitutional, so these limits may soon be abolished.
About the Lawyers
Stephen Wagner and Jason Reese can handle your personal injury claim from a drunk driving accident with years of experience and proven results. Call the law firm of Wagner Reese today 888-710-9377 for your FREE consultation!