Indiana Bike Accident Lawyers
Bicycle safety is something that can easily be overlooked, but as more and more cyclists hit the road, it is important for motor vehicles to remember to watch for cyclists and share the road. Bicycles have every right to the roadways that cars and trucks do, thus our eyes should be trained to watch for them as they share the space and travel alongside us.
According to The League of American Bicyclists, the number of bicycle trips rose from just over 1.5 billion in 2001, to 4 billion trips in 2009 in the United States. That’s a more than double increase in less than a decade. Consequently, it is important for bicyclists to be aware, alert, and attentive to stay safe.
Car and truck drivers are not always keeping a well-trained eye out for the bicyclists, and as a result, and cyclists are frequently injured in motor vehicle accidents, often resulting in death. On average, two people are killed each day as the result of a motor vehicle/bicycle accident, and those numbers are sadly on the rise.
BICYCLE SAFETY TIPS
The League of American Bicyclists has 5 rules for the road
Always follow the local rules of the road
Make sure you ride as expected- don’t make sudden unsafe movements
Make sure you are visible to others on the road
Make sure to always be anticipating what others may be doing or planning to do
Ride with a well-oiled machine- your bike should be in tip-top shape before hitting the road
When tragedy strikes, the bicycle accident lawyers at Wagner Reese can assist you in recovering the compensation you are owed as a result of the injuries you sustained, or the wrongful death of a loved one you endured. Just recently, Wagner Reese secured $2.5 million for the widow of a bicyclist who was struck by a motor vehicle, and died from his injuries.
Unfortunately, cases like these happen more often than they should. Don’t hesitate to call Wagner Reese for assistance if you or a loved one has been injured or killed in a bicycle accident. Wagner Reese is here to help you recover what is rightfully yours and get back on your feet following this tragedy.
STEPS TO TAKE WHEN YOU ARE INJURED
- Seek medical attention immediately
- Contact Wagner Reese for assistance with your personal injury case
- Never sign or agree to anything without the assistance of a lawyer
- Prepare your case by gathering any relevant information that may assist in claiming your compensation (this may include taking notes about the accident, taking pictures of the scene, gathering statements from witnesses – all these things can be done with the assistance of a personal injury lawyer)
Bicycle Accident Statistics:
- In 2010 (the most recent year for figures) 618 people were killed in bicycle accidents- this staggering number requires bicycle safety knowledge.
- In the same year, 52,000 people were injured in bicycle accidents.
- There has been a 2% reduction in bicycle injuries since 1998, but the numbers are still far too high.
- The average cost of injuries and deaths related to bicycle accidents each year is over $4 billion.
A Note About Recovery Limits
In 2012, Indiana put a compensation cap on non-economic based damages. For personal injury cases in the state of Indiana, any case paid by the government may not exceed an award of $5,000,000. The Indiana Supreme Court is currently contesting this cap as unconstitutional, so these limits may soon be abolished.
About the Lawyers
Stephen Wagner and Jason Reese can handle your personal injury or bicycle accident claim with years of experience and proven results. Call the law firm of Wagner Reese today 888-710-9377 for your FREE consultation!