Indianapolis Dog Bite & Animal Attack Attorneys
In the United States, according to the AVMA, there are over 70 million dogs being kept as pets. Each year, there are over 4.5 million bites in the U.S., and about 800,000 are severe enough that the individual bitten needs medical treatment.
While it may be easy to try and avoid certain breeds of dogs that may have a reputation for being aggressive or more prone to bite, all breeds of dogs can bite and do bite if provoked or feels threatened. While it may seem straight forward for most individuals to avoid dog bites by remembering to not approach a dog that is tied up, behind a fence, or a loose dog that is unfamiliar, children, who are frequently the victims of dog and animal attacks, need supervision around dogs and when they are outside to help them stay safe.
At Wagner Reese, the lawyers have been working diligently for clients when an unfortunate dog bite occurs, and holding owners liable for the actions of their animals when injury occurs.
DOG BITE STATISTICS
- There is a dog bite every 75 seconds.
- 1 in 4 fatal dog bites is from a chained dog.
- Almost 75% of dog bites result in injuries to the hands, arms, feet and legs.
- Approximately 2 out of 3 dog bites happen away from the dog owner’s property.
- Dog bites cost the insurance industry almost half a billion dollars in 2011.
- Insurance companies paid out almost $30,000 on average for each dog bite claim.
- Unneutered male dogs are responsible for more than 90% of all fatal dog attacks.
Wagner Reese understands that victims of dog bites can often suffer from serious injury, scarring, pain and suffering, lost wages and possibly even mental anguish after a dog bite. Our team works hard to make sure that clients get the compensation they deserve.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU ARE BITTEN BY A DOG
- Get medical treatment immediately- make sure children know to find an adult
- Try to find out if the dog is current on its vaccinations
- Report the incident to local animal control so it can be documented
- Contact the personal injury lawyers at Wagner Reese to discuss your dog bite case
- Never agree or sign anything without letting a lawyer review first
- Keep all important information and documentation together- names and contact information of people involved, medical records, incident reports, etc.
If you or one of your loved ones suffered an injury as the result of a dog bite or animal attack, give our personal injury attorneys a call and let them get you on the road to recovery. Call the law firm of Wagner Reese today 888-710-9377 for your FREE consultation!
A Note About Recovery Limits
In 2012, Indiana put a compensation cap on non-economic based damages. For personal injury cases in the state of Indiana, any case paid by the government may not exceed an award of $5,000,000. The Indiana Supreme Court is currently contesting this cap as unconstitutional, so these limits may soon be abolished.
About the Lawyers
Stephen Wagner and Jason Reese can handle your dog bite or animal attack injury claim with years of experience and proven results. Call the law firm of Wagner Reese today 888-710-9377 for your FREE consultation!