According to the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA), in the United States, there are reportedly more than 250,000 construction sites being worked by almost 6.5 million American workers per day. In an average year, construction site accidents result in the deaths of over 700 workers. In Indiana, 4.6 workers per every 100 are injured or killed on construction sites throughout the state.
Construction sites are incredibly dangerous workplaces. They involve the use of heavy machinery, large vehicles, power tools, scaffolding and other high surfaces, and loud noises that often make communication difficult. In these environments, injury can happen even when the highest safety precautions are taken.
Injuries on construction sites are often caused by slips and falls, getting trapped or stuck between surfaces/machinery, getting struck by an object (a vehicle, or materials that are dropped), and electrocution. In fact, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) calls these the “fatal four” injuries. They believe that eliminating these four types of injuries, statistically, could save as many as 435 lives every year in the United States.
Did you sustain an injury while working on a construction site? If so, the Indianapolis construction accident lawyers of Wagner Reese, LLP may be able to assist you in recovering compensation for the damages you incurred. Call (888) 204-8440 for a free consultation.
Construction Accident Injury Procedures
- Seek medical attention immediately.
- Notify your employer and file an injury or accident report.
- Contact a construction accident lawyer at Wagner Reese to assist you in gathering evidence and filing your suit.
- Collect statements from witnesses and coworkers at the event.
- Never sign or agree to anything your employer gives you without first consulting with your lawyer.
If you have worked on a construction site, you understand the danger inherent with the environment and that everyone from the construction crew workers to the contractors on a construction site needs to be watchful and alert from the moment they step on the site to help keep everyone safe. You are also likely familiar with the types of injuries that occur on construction sites all too frequently due to the nature of the work, negligence, and lacking or not following safety protocols.
Indiana construction site accident facts and statistics:
- In 2012, 19.6% of all work-related deaths were attributed to construction accidents.
- From 2011 to 2012, construction site injuries increased by 5% from 738 to 775.
- In 2009, there were over 3 million reported cases of non-fatal injury and illness within the construction sector in the U.S. with over 95% of that number belonging to injuries rather than illnesses.
- Fall-related injuries account for 22% of construction injuries.
- OSHA reported that falls (from an elevated location) were among the top for citations- scaffolding, fall protection, and ladders were in the top 10 for citations.
About Our Indianapolis Construction Site Injury Lawyers
Wagner Reese, LLP have the experience and proven results to handle your construction site injury case. From our offices in Indianapolis, we proudly serve clients throughout Indiana.
Call our firm at (888) 204-8440 for your free initial case consultation.