When you’ve been injured in an accident, it’s not just your body that needs to heal. It can be challenging to get back on track with your daily life and recover from the emotional trauma of a severe bodily injury.

If you have suffered a disfiguring injury in Indiana because someone else was negligent, you can pursue legal action against the negligent party. You may be eligible for compensation to cover medical bills, lost wages due to time out of work recovering from injuries, and compensation for physical pain suffered as well as emotional distress caused by the accident.

When you consult with Wagner Reese, we can help you get compensation for both your short- and long-term losses. Our Indianapolis catastrophic injury lawyers will work with you every step of the way to provide you with the best legal representation and get you the compensation you deserve.

What is a Disfiguring Injury?

A disfiguring injury is one that affects a person’s appearance. For example, if someone was in a car crash and sustained burns or nerve damage, they would have suffered a disfiguring injury. They may require extensive medical treatment and may also suffer long-term emotional distress that impacts their quality of life because of their injuries and changed appearance.  

Any injury that results in permanent disfigurement is classified as a serious bodily injury in Indiana. This means any disfiguring injuries obtained in the accident, including burns, scars, abrasions, nerve damage, and facial injuries, are taken into consideration when determining how much in damages victims are owed.

Emotional issues victims may suffer after a disfiguring injury include depression, negative body image, concern about how others will react to their appearance, and an inability to enjoy life or engage in meaningful activities. A disfiguring injury can also affect personal relationships with friends and loved ones as well as with colleagues and potential employers.

What Accidents Can Cause Disfigurement?

Disfigurement can often happen after injuries from accidents. If someone else caused the injury, they can potentially be held liable. These are some of the most common accidents that caused disfigurement:

  • Car, motorcycle, truck, recreational vehicles, and other vehicular accidents.
  • Severe burns from electrocution, flammable substances, or corrosive materials at a worksite.
  • The use of heavy machinery and equipment at construction sites.
  • Scarring and amputation from dog bites.
  • Defective and malfunctioning consumer products.
  • Scarring and disfigurement due to sports injuries.
  • Explosions caused by gas tanks, propane tanks, and boilers.

What Compensation is Allowed for a Disfiguring Injury?

If you sustain permanent disfigurement or scarring due to someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to damages. The amount depends on which body part is scarred or disfigured, how severe the injury is, and the impact on your quality of life. You may be entitled to:

Medical Expenses:

Current and future medical expenses can be a huge financial burden. Physical discomfort caused by disfigurement may require ongoing treatment, such as physical or occupational therapy, or multiple surgeries such as skin grafting procedures.

Our legal team can seek damages to cover the medical costs of doctors who treat your injuries, plastic surgeons who perform reconstructive surgery, and psychologists who assist you with coping with emotional trauma.

Loss of Wages:

This includes days you were unable to work as well as future loss of earning capacity. You may be eligible for regular payments to replace part of your lost wages.

Pain and Suffering:

Pain and suffering damages cover lifelong mental anguish and emotional distress that you experience as a victim of disfigurement. The damages are calculated based on the extent of the injury, the aggravation of pre-existing conditions, and the loss of ability to perform daily activities.

What is the Deadline for Filing a Claim for Personal Injury Damages?

In Indiana, most personal injury cases have a two-year statute of limitations that begins on the day of the accident. The government is exempt from this statute. You have 180 days to file a claim against an Indiana city or county if you have been injured and a government employee or agency is at fault. Claims against the state of Indiana must be filed within 270 days.

Rely on Our Indiana Catastrophic Injury Lawyers to Secure Fair Compensation

At Wagner Reese, we understand how devastating a disfiguring injury is to our clients’ lives, which is why we go above and beyond to fight for what they deserve – fair compensation for their injuries and losses. We’re committed to getting results that matter because our clients depend on us while they’re rebuilding their lives after a life-changing accident.

We encourage you to contact us today for a free consultation.