Common Asthma Medication Recalled

/, Personal Injury, Product Liability/Common Asthma Medication Recalled

Common Asthma Medication Recalled

A nationwide voluntary recall of an estimated 600,000 Ventolin HFA Inhalation Aerosol inhalers, commonly used to treat conditions like asthma and other chronic pulmonary diseases, has been announced by the British pharmaceutical company, GlaxoSmithKline, LLC, also known as GSK. Three lots of the 200D inhalers may have a potential issue with the delivery system, and according to FDA official reports, “the products might cause a temporary health problem, or pose only a slight threat of a serious nature.”


Metered-dose albuterol inhalers help users breathe by delivering medication into the body through the airway and lungs. People with asthma can vary from childhood age to adulthood but all suffer from the chronic disease involving inflammation in the airways in the lungs, and often rely on medication like albuterol to manage their symptoms, and improve their quality of life. The FDA continued to report that some of the GSK inhalers were “out of specification results for leak rate” and triggered the recall.


The effected inhalers start with lot numbers 6ZP0003, 6ZP9944 and 6ZP9848 and were made in a plant in Zebulon, North Carolina. Recalls are coming from hospitals, pharmacies, retailers and wholesalers in the United States.


Who Does This Recall Impact?

Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH) reported in 2014 that approximately 546,000 Hoosiers were suffering from asthma, creating more than 700,000 hospitalizations to treat the chronic condition that same year. As the number of people with asthma continues to grow so does the need for a dependency on physicians to develop a management plan involving medication – such as Ventolin HFA Inhalation Aerosol inhalers – to keep risk factors and symptoms under control.


According to the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (AAAAI):


  • One in 12 people (about 25 million, or 8%of the U.S. population) had asthma in 2009, compared with 1 in 14 (about 20 million, or 7%) in 2001.
  • More than half (53%) of people with asthma had an asthma attackin 2008. More children (57%) than adults (51%) had an attack.
  • Childhood asthmaimpacts millions of children and their families. In fact, the majority of children who develop asthma do so before the age of five.



People with asthma have airways that are always inflamed. The airways become even more swollen and the muscles around the airways can tighten when something triggers symptoms, making it difficult for air to move in and out of the lungs. An albuterol-released inhaler can help improve the restriction.


For many asthma sufferers, timing of symptoms such as coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath and/or chest tightness can be related to physical activity, a family history of allergies, or occupational asthma caused by inhaling harmful substances while on the job.


Can Someone Die From Asthma?

A person should work with a healthcare professional and be assessed for their risk of suffering a fatal asthma attack. A weak 33 percent of asthma deaths occur in the hospital. The other 67 percent of asthma deaths occur because patients are not seeking proper care, or receiving proper treatment or medication fails, or have not been hospitalized.


If you treat your asthma or pulmonary disease with a Ventolin HFA Inhalation Aerosol inhaler and are suffering the consequences of its failure to deliver, it is important that you get expert legal advice from a personal injury lawyer. Our experienced product recall attorneys offer free consultations to discuss your case. Contact us today to schedule your evaluation and call 1-888-710-9377.



By | 2017-05-30T11:51:56+00:00 April 19th, 2017|Drug Injuries, Personal Injury, Product Liability|0 Comments

About the Author:

has been repeatedly selected by his peers as an "Indiana Super Lawyer" and was awarded "Trial Lawyer of the Year" in 2006 by the Trial Lawyers Association. Stephen's law expertise are in the areas of personal injury, worker's compensation, civil rights, class action litigation and medical malpractice.

Leave A Comment