How Common is Nursing Home Abuse?
Nursing home abuse is more common than most people realize. With over one million nursing home residents in the United States and a severe understaffing issue, many elders have experienced abuse or neglect in their nursing home at some point. Get the facts on the prevalence of nursing home abuse and how to report it.
When selecting a nursing home for your elderly relative, it’s important to keep in mind the following statistics collected by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- 90% of nursing homes are understaffed
- 1 in 3 nursing homes have at least one convicted criminal on staff
- Only 16% of estimated abuse cases are actually reported
Although these figures do not mean that every nursing home will provide a poor environment for your elderly relative, they do signify that there is a widespread problem with nursing home abuse nationwide. Therefore, it’s in your best interest to conduct thorough research before selecting a nursing home for your loved one.
When researching a nursing home, taking the following measures can help ensure the nursing home you ultimately decide upon is a safe and healthy choice for your relative:
- Observe the activities that nursing home residents partake in at the facility. It’s ideal if residents have a wide range of activities to participate in, and ways for disabled residents to join the activity as well.
- Sample the food that is served to nursing home residents. Make sure residents are provided a variety of healthy options.
- Speak with staff and ask them if they often feel stressed or overwhelmed. If they do, it’s a sign that the facility is understaffed.
Taking the aforementioned measures can help reduce the likelihood that your elderly loved one will experience abuse or neglect in their nursing home. However, not every instance of nursing home abuse or neglect is avoidable or preventable. If you suspect nursing home abuse, bring it to the attention of the facility’s staff as soon as possible. If you witness abuse, contact the authorities.
If you have reported the abuse to the facility’s staff and suspect abuse is still occurring, our personal injury attorneys at Wagner Reese can help you seek justice against the responsible parties.
Contact us today at (888) 204-8440 to learn how we can assist you.