Muncie Man Killed in Hit-and-Run Moped Crash
- Indiana state police are looking for a semi-truck driver who struck and killed a Muncie man after he was thrown from his moped while driving on U.S. 31.
- The initial crash between a dump truck and the moped produced an impact so strong the driver of the moped and his passenger were ejected. One of the men was then hit and killed by a southbound semi-tractor.
- Investigators are seeking information about the semi-tractor that allegedly hit the man and failed to stop. It is believed to be a dark colored semi-tractor, pulling a box trailer. Information can be reported by calling the Indiana State Police at 1-765-473-6666.
- Nearly 4,000 people are killed in semi-truck accidents each year, amounting to eleven deaths a day in the U.S.
Police Seeking Hit-and-Run Semi-Truck Driver for Howard Man’s Death
According to a local news reports, state police are searching for clues to locate a semi driver who struck and killed a Muncie after he was thrown from a moped while driving on U.S. 31. A preliminary crash investigation has revealed that two men were riding a moped south on U.S. 31 when the scooter was rear-ended by a 2007 Kenworth roll-off dump truck. The crash impact caused both the moped driver and passenger to be ejected. One of the men was then hit and a secondary crash evolved when he collided with a southbound semi-tractor. The man was pronounced dead at the scene and the driver of the semi-tractor did not stop.
Investigators are seeking information about the hit-and-run semi-tractor involved. Information can be reported by calling the Indiana State Police at 1-765-473-6666. We hope this driver will be located and justice served for the family and friends of the man killed.
Semi-Trucks Can Be Most Dangerous Vehicle to Share the Road With
Nearly 4,000 people are killed in semi-truck accidents each year, amounting to eleven deaths a day in the U.S. In addition, there are 100,000 injuries related to truck accidents annually. While there were other hazards that created the tragedy mentioned above, avoiding a crash like that not may not be attainable. But for those of us who get nervous traveling around big trucks and semi-trailers, here are several driving tactics that can protect you against getting into a tragic accident with these road hogs.
- There is no need to drive too closely. Following any vehicle too closely can be dangerous – but following a large truck or semi too closely can be deadly.
- Leave room for the semi and bigger vehicles to drive far ahead or behind. This doesn’t mean you should speed, but if you are directly in front of a semi, make sure you allow them adequate room to maneuver and get out of their way. Also, make sure the truck is far enough behind you before you cross lanes in front of them.
Indiana Is No Stranger to Semi-Truck Accidents
If tragedy strikes and you are involved in a secondary crash or in a semi-truck accident, the team at Wagner Reese can assist. In the case of a loved one lost as a result of a truck accident, our expert wrongful death attorneys can help you to understand your rights and options and will fight to get your family the compensation you deserve.
If you would like legal advice on your accident, call us today at (888) 204-8440 to schedule a free consultation or speak with us by submitting our online form and our attorneys will review your information.