Indiana Has Two Interstate Areas in the Top 100 Truck Bottleneck Roadways
- A new report titled the Top 100 Truck Bottleneck List has been released from the American Transportation Research Institute (ATRI).
- The group has collected and processed truck GPS data in support of the Federal Highway Administration’s Freight Performance Measures (FPM) initiative, a program that monitors performance measures related to the nation’s truck-based freight transportation system.
- The results that generate from the annual bottleneck analysis quantify the impact of traffic congestion at 300 specific locations across the U.S., including right here in Indiana.
- The information in this new report can guide both the private and public sectors by helping stakeholders better understand the severity of congestion and mobility constraints on the U.S. highway transportation system.
- Indianapolis’s I-65 at I-70 North and South, again made the list and only shifted a few seats as better or worse than previous year rankings.
- For more information on the truck bottleneck analysis and how to avoid bottleneck traffic jams and related car wrecks, check out today’s blog.
Where Does Indiana Sit on The 2018 Top 100 Truck Bottleneck List
The American Transportation Research Institute (ATRI) has been collecting and processing truck GPS information since 2002. They use the data from 600,000 trucks in support of the Federal Highway Administration’s Freight Performance Measures initiative to quantify the impact of traffic congestion on truck-borne freight at 300 specific locations across the U.S., Indiana included. Bottlenecked traffic has a major impact on the flow of safe transportation. One statistic says the cost is equivalent to 264,500 truck drivers sitting still for an entire year.
The GPS data results from 2017 show that Indiana has two of the top 100 congested roadways where truck bottlenecks occur. They can be found in Indianapolis at these interstate locations:
- #33 Indianapolis, IN: I-65 at I-70 (North)
- #40 Indianapolis, IN: I-65 at I-70 (South)
Bottleneck Traffic Creates Deadly Chain Reaction Accidents
Bottlenecks in these areas typically happen when there is a limited physical capacity for the number of vehicles on the roadway. Truck bottlenecks can quickly turn into car and other motor vehicle bottlenecks, slowing everyone on the roadway into turtle-like speed. Analysts do see an association between truck and other vehicle backups resulting in accidents. Accident reports on the I-65 roadways have shown the congested areas having stop-and-go traffic, increasing a risk for front- and rear-end collisions for all types of vehicles.
In addition, with the rise of distracted drivers, poor driving habits and bottleneck traffic we see a major chain reaction of accidents and injuries on these Indiana roadways.
10 Tips for Avoiding an Accident in a Bottleneck Jam
- Take extra care to pay attention and expect the unexpected. Traffic can change without notice.
- Driver inattention is a leading cause of all highway crashes. Don’t text or talk on the phone and avoid taking your hands off the wheel. Distracted driving has become a crisis on all roadways.
- Watch for speed limit reductions, narrowing lanes, changing traffic patterns, and highway workers.
- Respect the posted speed limits and merge as soon as safely possible as this will allow traffic to flow smoothly. Speeding and aggressive driving are major causes of interstate crashes.
- Keep a safe distance on all sides of your vehicles and maintain a safe following distance. Rear-end collisions are the most common type of interstate crash related to bottleneck traffic.
- Respect bigger trucks and obey their guidance.
- Pay attention to signage that may be giving accurate information and important warnings on what to expect ahead.
- Expect delays and allow extra travel time to navigate known busy and congested areas.
- If possible, select alternate routes to avoid the bottleneck zone completely.
- Be patient and stay calm.
Were You Injured on I-65?
Drivers shouldn’t speed or drive recklessly because they risk the chance of causing a tragic accident, especially within a traffic jam. If you have been injured in an accident in a bottleneck interstate zone, the attorneys at Wagner Reese can assist you in recovering damages for your injury and subsequent medical bills.
Stephen Wagner and Jason Reese can work directly with you and handle your car accident claim with years of experience and proven results. Call the law firm of Wagner Reese today at (888) 204-8440 for your FREE consultation.