Open Accessibility Menu

Challenges Abound in Out-of-State Car Accidents

Jason Reese

Several Indiana metro areas serve as major crossroads for casual and commercial travelers alike, with Indianapolis acting as a hub for I-65, I-69, I-70, and I-74. This means many visitors to our great state are literally just passing through. When traveling in states other than the one in which you reside, road signs, speed limits, or traffic laws may be unfamiliar to you or other drivers around you. Certainly, at times, drivers are distracted by directional uncertainty or because they are eating. Passengers and entertainment also cause distraction. What happens in the case of a car accident involving the residents of other states?

The good news is that your car insurance is likely to cover your accident exactly as if it had occurred in your home state. If you have towing or other services, you will probably be able to use them as well. It may be a challenge to freeze or modify your travel plans to account for an accident and potential loss of your vehicle, either temporarily or permanently. These issues would no doubt be frustrating and possibly confusing, especially as you realize you are unfamiliar with the laws of the state in which you find yourself, and they would be compounded in the case of an accident in which a traveler is seriously injured.

What To Do

Just as with any accident regardless of location, you should call the police, get medical assistance if needed, and call your insurance company first. It is important that you not admit fault and that you do not speak about the accident details to other drivers or witnesses.

Beyond this basic advice, it is critical to employ an experienced legal team in the state in which your accident occurred. This is to provide expertise with the laws of the state that will govern your case. Fault in car accidents are almost always dependent upon the definitions and laws of the state in which the accident occurred; however, there are instances in which another state’s law might apply. Another reason to seek the help of attorneys is because you are likely to be immersed in all the confusing details surrounding finding appropriate vehicle, medical, and other services while also rearranging travel plans. This can be an exhausting and emotionally draining process, but obtaining trusted legal counsel can help you to protect your legal rights.

Have You Been Injured in an Indiana Car Accident and Live in Another State?

If so, the vehicular accident attorneys at Wagner Reese have the experience you need to secure compensation and assist you with your recovery. In the case of wrongful death, we understand there is no way of replacing the loved one you have lost; however, we can help you ensure you and other family members are taken care of in the way your loved one would have wanted. If you’ve been injured, or if you lost a loved one due to someone else’s negligent driving, call our offices today at (888) 204-8440 to schedule a FREE consultation.


Request Your Free Case Evaluation

Fill out the form below to get started or give us a call at (888) 204-8440 to speak with our legal team directly.

  • Please enter your First Name.
  • Please enter your Last Name.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.

Our Locations

  • Indianapolis Office: 201 N. Illinois St.,
    16th Floor - South Tower

    Indianapolis, IN 46204
  • Carmel Office: 11939 N. Meridian St.
    Carmel, IN 46032
  • Evansville Office: 815 John St. Suite 110
    Evansville, IN 47713
  • Fort Wayne Office: 3201 Stellhorn Rd
    Fort Wayne, IN 46815
  • Champaign Office: 701 Devonshire Dr., Suite C17
    Champaign, IL 61820