Open Accessibility Menu

INDOT Truck Involved in Deadly Crash

Steve Wagner

Shortly after 7 a.m. on Tuesday, April 19, a Vincennes man died as the result of an accident on U.S. 41 near Elkhorn Road. Derek Kelly, 38, was heading north in the passing lane when an Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) dump truck pulled out into the path of his Mazda.

Raigen Bailey of Farmersburg was the 22 year-old driver of the dump truck. Preliminary evidence indicates she was westbound on Industrial Drive and had just stopped at a stop sign before crossing the northbound lanes of U.S. 41 en route to the southbound lanes. Reportedly, Bailey did not see the oncoming vehicle, pulling out directly in front of Kelly. Kelly was taken to Good Samaritan Hospital in Vincennes for treatment but succumbed to his injuries.

This investigation is still under way, and we will be following this story for updates.

Car Accidents Involving State Vehicles

If you or a family member is in an accident involving a state or other governmental vehicle, rest assured that you still have the right to recover costs if the other driver was at fault. Victims should never feel like the other party is too “big” to be held accountable. This is where a reputable personal injury or wrongful death attorney can be beneficial to speak with. An attorney can help when the fight ahead may seem intimidating to the victim.

There are a few steps you should take if you are injured in an accident involving a governmental agency. First, as in all accidents, you should obtain a police report. There is sometimes a nominal fee for the production of the report, but don’t let that deter you—it can be a key piece of information in a lawsuit.

Next, it is important you really know who the other party is. This is another area where the experience and knowledge of an attorney can really be critical, as there are many vehicles, which appear to be government vehicles (either owned or operated). Some of these are not actually connected to the government agency as directly as you might think. Many are owned and operated privately, and some are private but may be subsidized or funded by the state. If the vehicle is government-owned or operated, our attorney can help you determine exactly to which part of the government the vehicle belongs.

In most cases, you or any attorney on your behalf will need to file a claim with the governmental entity. Hopefully, your claim is settled. If the claim is rejected, you are then allowed to bring suit in civil court.

Wagner Reese Will Fight For You

Accidents involving state or other governmental vehicles and employees may make victims feel anxious about their odds of being compensated for serious injury or even for the death of a loved one. The vehicular accident attorneys at Wagner Reese can advise you from the very beginning, ensuring you do not underestimate the compensation for which you are eligible and fighting on your behalf if your initial claim is rejected. Call us today for a risk-free, no-cost consultation: (888) 204-8440.


Request Your Free Case Evaluation

Fill out the form below to get started or give us a call at (888) 204-8440 to speak with our legal team directly.

  • Please enter your First Name.
  • Please enter your Last Name.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.

Our Locations

  • Indianapolis Office: 201 N. Illinois St.,
    16th Floor - South Tower

    Indianapolis, IN 46204
  • Carmel Office: 11939 N. Meridian St.
    Carmel, IN 46032
  • Evansville Office: 815 John St. Suite 110
    Evansville, IN 47713
  • Fort Wayne Office: 3201 Stellhorn Rd
    Fort Wayne, IN 46815
  • Champaign Office: 701 Devonshire Dr., Suite C17
    Champaign, IL 61820