Indy Ranked as 14th Worst City for Postal Workers & Dog Attacks
Indianapolis has been ranked as the 14th worst place to work for USPS mail carriers, for one reason: dog attacks.
Last year alone, 27 mail carriers were attacked within the city, some sustaining very serious injuries, and remaining unable to work for extended periods of time. The Postal Service does carry a warning system for dog owners whose dogs have caused problems for mail carriers; they say they give three strikes. The first strike is merely a verbal warning, the second strike let’s the owner know that their services are on the verge of suspension, and if they have to give a third strike, it means that dog owner’s mail services will be suspended permanently.
Did you know?
- There are around 1000 people that require treatment for a dog bite injury every day in the U.S.
- The average cost of a hospital stay needed after a dog bite injury costs approximately $18,200.
- In a recent study done by the CDC, pitbulls and rottweilers were responsible for around 67% of all fatal dog attacks.
So how can you stay safe?
- We don’t ever recommend petting a dog that you don’t have a relationship with. Especially not when you are approaching them in their territory. Dogs are incredibly territorial, and if you are coming into their yard and approaching them, it puts them on alert.
- Watch your body language around dogs. Try not to approach them head on, and don’t pet them on the head without their permission.
- Avoid making eye contact with a dog. Dogs often see eye contact as a threat and it can make them nervous.
- Above all, if a dog is acting territorial or aggressive, don’t try to approach it anyway. Just walk away.
Dog Bite Injury Attorneys – Call Wagner Reese
If you have been injured by a dog attack, the attorneys at Wagner Reese can assist you in recovering the damages you are owed for the injuries you have sustained. Get back on your feet, get out from under medical bills, and get back to work with our help! Call us today at (888) 204-8440 for a free consultation.