Shipping Error or Medical Malpractice?
San Diego-based medical training company Wallcur is under investigation after 17 patients have fallen ill, and one person was killed as the result of mistaking their saline-solution filled IV bags for real products.
The company says it is not sure where the problem lies, whether they shipped out the wrong product to hospitals, whether hospitals ordered products incorrectly, whether non-medically trained personnel were responsible for the ordering and purchased the wrong products, or some other mix-up. The Food and Drug Administration is currently investigating the case, as the incidents occurred in seven states, and they want to get to the root cause of the error.
Patients who were affected by the product mistake reported symptoms of chills, fever, tremors, and headaches. The patient who was killed was a hospice patient, though the cause of death could not be officially ruled as the saline solution.
Wallcur cites that they began shipping this batch of solutions on May 22, 2014, and that they were specifically labeled “for clinical simulation” as the company only manufactures training products that are not always certified as sterile. Wallcur ships to facilities like nursing schools, but not to hospitals or clinics; it does, however, ship through third party distributors, which may be where the mix-ups occurred.
Whether this was a case of medical malpractice, or an issue of a faulty product and manufacturing error, several people were injured, and this not be the end to the issues caused by these mistakes. If you or a loved one have been injured because of negligence, or because of a defective product, Wagner Reese is here to assist you with your recovery. Call us today at (888) 204-8440 to schedule a free consultation.