Apartment Fire Reminds Us Of Grill Safety
An apartment complex caught fire last week after embers in a grill burned out onto a balcony, causing one apartment to be destroyed, and causing property damage to several others. The fire occurred around 3:20 a.m. in the 5900 block of Guion Rd. in Pike Township. A passerby spotted the fire spreading in the structure and called 911. Fire officials from the Pike Township Fire Department arrived shortly after the call and were able to extinguish the fire.
The tenants of the apartment included two adults and two children, but the children were not home at the apartment for the night. Fire officials checked all the other apartments in the building for damage and injuries, but no one was hurt.
Indiana regulations are strict when it comes to grill placement and operation. If you live in a single family home or a free-standing building, like a duplex, there is a bit more leniency, but for apartment complexes, grills are not permitted to be within ten feet of a structure, and they are never allowed to be placed on second floor balconies.
Remember when you operating a grill to leave adequate space for smoke and flames away from any low hanging branches or structures. When you are finished grilling, never forget to extinguish the embers, or give the gas enough time to dissipate and make sure everything on the grill is shut off completely.
If you have lost your home or suffered property damage or burn injuries due to the negligence of another tenant, the attorneys at Wagner Reese may be able to assist you with your case. Schedule a free consultation today by calling (888) 204-8440.