Work Comp Settlements and Payments
When filing for a workers’ compensation claim, there are a few things you need to know about the process. First, your employer is legally required to provide work comp insurance for all their employees, and if your employer is not compliant with this requirement, you should contact the Indiana Workers Compensation Board for assistance.
After you are injured in a work-related accident, accepting a compensation settlement is completely at your discretion. Your employer may offer you a settlement, or the insurance company may offer a settlement, and either you or your employer may deny that settlement. Continuing past a settlement offer usually requires legal assistance to pursue alternative compensation methods. You do not have to accept any offer your employer gives, if you do not think it is fair or an adequate amount of money to cover the damages you have incurred.
Work Comp Payment Differentials
Work comp payments in the state of Indiana are made on a sliding scale basis, depending on the severity of your injury, or whether or not a court awards you a maximum amount, or you are suffering from a temporary total disability, a temporary partial disability, a permanent total disability, or a permanent partial disability. For more information about how the payments work, you can visit the Indiana Work Comp site.
Questions to Ask Potential Legal Counsel
When searching for a lawyer to assist you with a workers’ compensation claim, there are a few questions you should ask any legal counsel you may be interviewing. We hope these questions assist you in your search for legal assistance:
- How much of your practice focuses on work comp?
- Will your firm be able to represent me through the entire process, including hearings, appeals, and if necessary, a court case?
- What are your fees and overall expenses for the process? When do you expect payment, and what percentage of the compensation award will you take?
- Are there any additional costs to be aware of during the process?
- How many years have you been handling work comp claims, and what is your history for successful client awards?
If you have questions you would like to ask our work comp lawyers, our representatives are waiting to speak with during a free consultation session to talk about your case. Give us a call at (888) 204-8440 for more information.