Deciding on a Quality Physician
How much trust do you place in your doctor? A new poll from the Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research suggests that only 22% of people are confident in their abilities to choose a doctor who offers high quality care.
While 6 out of 10 people say they trust doctor recommendations from their friends or their family, only half of people say they trust a referral to another doctor from their family physician.
So how do you determine whether or not your physician is offering the highest quality of care that you deserve?
Here are a few tips for how to choose a physician for you and your loved ones:
- Ask your friends and family. Don’t just choose a provider at random from your health insurance referral list.
- Interview your doctor in a consultation before scheduling a regular appointment. There is nothing wrong with getting comfortable with the person who may or may not be treating you. Follow your gut instincts and get a feel for whether or not you trust the doctor you are speaking with.
- Consider general physicians vs. specialists. Depending on what type of care or treatment you are looking for, this may narrow the field of doctors you are trying to choose from.
- Do your research. Your friends and family may have had good experiences with a certain doctor, but don’t be afraid to do some independent research. The internet can be an extremely eye-opening tool when it comes to health care providers.
- Never be afraid to change your doctor. Just because someone has a medical education, doesn’t mean they know more about your body or your health than you do. If you question decisions or recommendations your doctor is making, or if you feel like they are controlling or bullying, or don’t listen to your opinions, there are zero consequences for finding a new physician. Take the step and find someone you trust.
If you have been injured or neglected by someone in the healthcare field, the medical malpractice and negligence lawyers at Wagner Reese may be able to assist you with getting the compensation you deserve. Give us a call at (888) 204-8440.