Indianapolis Woman Injured by Prescription Mistake
An error made by an Indianapolis pharmacy is under investigation after a woman sustained a chemical burn to her eye. The woman initially went to her doctor for an infection in her eye, and she was given a prescription for drops to treat it.
When she went to the pharmacy to fill the prescription, and discovered that the cost was over $200, the pharmacist agreed to help her find a less expensive substitute. After calling her doctor and discussing the options, the pharmacist found a suitable replacement for the $200 drops, and filled the prescription right away.
When the woman got home and opened the box, she read that the drops for “the ear only”, although the instructions from the pharmacist and her doctor told her to use the drops directly in her eye. Knowing her doctor said the eye drops might burn when she used them, because of the infection, the woman did not seek help until two days later when her infection had worsened and her eye had become inflamed. She went to the Emergency Room where she was told she had chemical burns on her eye.
Where was the error made? Was this the fault of the doctor or the pharmacist? Although the woman should have questioned the instructions and sought help sooner than she did, she was likely under the impression it was the correct medication and was trying to follow instructions, and we are anxious to hear the results of this investigation. We hope to keep you updated with more information as we learn details.