Open Accessibility Menu

Can You Sue the State of Indiana for a Motor Vehicle Accident?

Steve Wagner

The mayor of Jeffersonville, IN has appealed to the state to solve serious safety issues involving Highway 62. Traffic along this highway is increasing in a major way, thanks to the River Ridge Industrial Park and other developments. However, with such an increase in traffic, motor vehicle accidents inevitably follow.

The highway passes through the city of Jeffersonville, which bears the brunt of the excessive traffic. The mayor wants to reduce the speed limit from the existing 55 miles per hour to 45 miles per hour, to make the road safer, but the highway is under the jurisdiction of the State of Indiana, and the city cannot reduce the speed limit without going through the state.

In any case, exceeding the speed limit is only part of the problem. There appear to be engineering problems that have the potential to make sections of the road unsafe for motorists, and these stretches require rebuilding. In its current condition, the roadway is a recipe for disaster.

If disaster strikes, can the victims sue the state for their negligence in providing safe driving conditions, claiming that even the mayor (and many other experts) considers the roads to be unsafe?

There is a strong case for claiming damages if it can be proven that car accidents were directly attributable to causes such as:

  • Faulty road construction or poor design that increased the chances of accidents
  • Poorly placed, or lack of, signs or road barriers, where appropriate
  • It is even possible to claim damages if your injury is the direct result of a pothole, or the car accident occurred because someone had to swerve sharply to avoid a pothole. In fact, injury lawyers making pothole claims have become commonplace in Indiana.

Suing the state for damages can be a tough battle to fight, and not only does your evidence have to be watertight, the entire case needs to be immaculate. Wagner Reese has a team of skilled and competent Indiana car accident attorneys who can contest such cases to against the state, so that you receive fair compensation. It is the duty of the state government to care for its citizens, and when the state fails to do so after substantial warning, it is the right of the citizens to claim what is owed to them.

Contact us at (888) 204-8440 to schedule a free consultation with our expert motor vehicle accident attorneys and find out if you have a case against the state of Indiana.


Request Your Free Case Evaluation

Fill out the form below to get started or give us a call at (888) 204-8440 to speak with our legal team directly.

  • Please enter your First Name.
  • Please enter your Last Name.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.

Our Locations

  • Indianapolis Office: 201 N. Illinois St.,
    16th Floor - South Tower

    Indianapolis, IN 46204
  • Carmel Office: 11939 N. Meridian St.
    Carmel, IN 46032
  • Evansville Office: 815 John St. Suite 110
    Evansville, IN 47713
  • Fort Wayne Office: 3201 Stellhorn Rd
    Fort Wayne, IN 46815
  • Champaign Office: 701 Devonshire Dr., Suite C17
    Champaign, IL 61820