What to Do When Involved in a Car Accident
Being involved in an auto accident is messy. Faced with a crash, which may include injuries or even the death of co-passengers, people tend to panic. Keeping a cool head in such situations is tough, but it is imperative to do certain things at the right time, to ensure that if legal action is necessary, you get the compensation you deserve.
Here are a few pointers that will make the process of securing compensation in auto accident cases a little simpler. You can also get safe driving tips from the Indiana Department of Transportation online to prevent future accidents.
- Never jump to conclusions: even if you perceive you were responsible for the crash. Securing compensation for auto accidents is not a straightforward exercise, and many factors, including the condition of the vehicle, road conditions, the weather, the other driver’s state of mind, level of intoxication, whether the other driver was on the mobile phone, etc, all come into play.
- At the time of the car crash, call the police: it is also wise to call the paramedics. However, do not leave it at that. The role of witnesses are very important. Look for eyewitnesses who happen to be around, and get their contact information.
- Inform your insurance company before leaving the site: The insurance company may send in their claims adjuster, and their findings can become additional evidence in an eventual lawsuit.
- Make observations about all aspects: this includes the climate, road conditions and any other surrounding factors you believe may have played a role in the accident.
- Visit the doctor as soon as possible: regardless of whether you are injured or not. It is important to prove that you were not inebriated at the time of crash, and also important to uncover any potential health issues that may be a result of the accident, whether they are causing you pain or not.
Regardless of whether you followed any of these steps in a previous accident, hire an experienced Indiana motor vehicle accident attorney to represent your case. What you did at the time of the incident, especially if you signed some papers, admitted guilt, or made a statement to the insurance claims adjuster can have a major bearing on the case and only a skilled and experienced Indiana car accident attorney can understand the implications of these actions from a legal point of view.
With Wagner Reese’s Indiana car accident attorneys, your case is a risk-free. We do not charge any money upfront and you do not have to pay anything until we have worked hard to help you receive your settlement. Call us at (888) 204-8440 for a free evaluation of your case and more information on how we can help you recover from your auto accident.