Student in Coma After Hazing Ritual
How many students will have to be injured or killed before colleges and universities will start taking pledging and hazing activities seriously?
Last week, a 19-year-old student at the University of Virginia was told to drink an entire bottle of soy sauce while he was pledging the Zeta Psi Fraternity.
The student, John Paul Boldrick, was rushed to the hospital after slipping into a coma with seizure-like reactions that resulted from the severe sodium overdose from drinking the soy sauce. Doctors diagnosed him with severe hypernatremia, a metabolic imbalance that caused his body to slip into the coma.
In an effort to prevent brain damage from the overdose, doctors attempted to flush his system with a water and sugar based solution. The student was in a coma for three days, but doctors were able to prevent brain damage, and he seems to have pulled through successfully.
The next student may not be so “lucky”, however. The tolerance level for dangerous hazing rituals needs to be thrown out the window, and colleges and universities must start actively participating in the well-being of students who are pledging these fraternities and sororities.
If you have suffered the injury or loss of a loved one due to fraternity hazing rituals like this one, Wagner Reese can assist you in your recovery. Give us a call today to schedule a free consultation on your Indiana personal injury case and let us help you get the justice you deserve!