Space Heater Fires: A Holiday Home Danger
Did you know that the National Fire Protection Association reports that 32% of all home fires are caused by space heaters? Even more terrifying than that statistic, space heaters are responsible for 79% of all home heating fire deaths! That number is simply astounding when most people don’t think about space heaters as being a source of such danger.
The truth is, space heaters often get knocked over, get left too close to flammable items, or are left unattended for long periods of time, drastically increasing the risks that accompany such seemingly harmless heating tools. Space heaters can be fantastic, and are great for supplemental heating in your home, but safety precautions MUST be taken when using them. Follow these simple safety tips if you want to greatly reduce your risk of a home fire:
- Never leave space heaters unattended. If you are leaving your home, turn the heaters off.
- Do not leave space heaters close to flammable sources. Leaving them close to bedding, letting them run on a carpeted surface, or even leaving them turned on too close to the Christmas tree can quickly lead to overheating. Follow the heater’s instructions on safe distances and location/placing of the heater to help prevent overheating and fires.
- Do not let children operate space heaters. Besides home fires, space heaters are often extremely hot to the touch, and children can easily burn themselves on the surface of a space heater.
- Never use a space heater that has not been professionally tested for safety.
- Install extra smoke and CO2 detectors in your home to protect you in case of fumes or a fire.
- Make sure your home stays well ventilated. Keep your chimney cleaned out well and duct-work professionally maintained.
If you and your family have suffered from a home fire, the law offices of Wagner Reese may be able to help you recover some of your damages. Give us a call today to schedule your free personal injury consultation.