Holiday Decorating Falls Can Cause Concussions & Fractures
Right now, you’re asking yourself if this is really a “thing”. Do people fall often enough while they are decorating for the holidays to necessitate raising awareness for this topic?
Believe it or not, an average of 2-3 people per hour are injured during the holiday season (Nov. 1st – Jan. 31st) because of a fall that occurred while decorating! During that course of time, that’s over 5800 people! According to the CDC, 43% of all these fall-related injuries were from ladder accidents, while the rest happened from roof tops, furniture, stairs and porches.
Most of the injuries sustained due to these falls are fractures, and other injuries will include breaks, sprains, concussions, bruises, muscle pulls and more.
Did you know that men are more likely to be injured in a fall-related accident than women? From the most recent statistics on this topic, 58% of holiday fall injuries were sustained by men. 62% of those injured were in the 20-49 age group.
Here are some tips to help you and your family stay safe and protected from decorating falls this holiday season:
- Always decorate in pairs. Have somebody supporting the bottom of the ladder or helping you balance on a step stool while you are reaching high places.
- Make sure your step stool or ladder is balanced on level ground. Climbing on an unstable surface is one of the fastest ways to hurt yourself.
- Make sure the ground around where you are climbing is clear. If you do fall, you don’t want to land on sharp objects or breakables that could injure you further.
- Never stand on the very top rungs of a ladder. The warning labels are there for a reason; respect them.
- Don’t stand on your furniture. Chairs, the backs of couches, tables and the like were not built with the intention of doubling as a ladder. Take the extra time to get a step stool or a ladder. You will be glad you did.
Most importantly, don’t try to take on more than you can handle. If you aren’t confident you can reach a spot, or if you don’t think you should be lifting something, listen to your instincts. No decoration is worth any injury!
If you need our assistance this holiday season, please don’t hesitate to call and schedule your free personal injury consultation at (888) 204-8440.