Open Accessibility Menu

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: What You Need to Know

Steve Wagner

The CDC reports that each year over 400 people die from Carbon Monoxide poisoning in the US, while more than 20,000 others visit the emergency room. Protecting your home from Carbon Monoxide poisoning can be tricky, especially since this deadly gas is invisible, and cannot be detected by taste or smell.

There are CO2 detectors available for purchase that you can install in your home, and this endeavor is especially important during the winter months. Carbon Monoxide is released by the burning of fuels, which happens more often in the winter time as a result of consistently running heaters and warm appliances (water heaters, stoves, dryers, etc). When CO2 fumes are released, it may only be a matter of minutes before those fumes turn deadly, so it is important to know the symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning, be able to recognize them quickly, and take action before they become fatal.

In the early stages of CO2 poisoning, you may experience the following symptoms:

  • Headache
  • Nausea
  • Dizziness

As the fumes get worse and symptoms progress, you may experience:

  • Problems with your vision
  • Increased heartbeat or chest pain
  • Rapid breathing or a feeling of losing your breath
  • Confusion
  • Sudden drowsiness
  • Seizures

If you begin to feel any of these symptoms, it is important to quickly identify what they are and how they may be affecting you, as some of these symptoms are markers of other illnesses and may not necessarily be caused by CO2 poisoning. Check to see if others around you are experiencing the same symptoms. If multiple people are having the same issue, it’s a higher likelihood that it may be CO2. Step outdoors and take a few deep breaths. If you begin to feel better when you are breathing fresh air, there may be a CO2 build up inside your house.

If you have older appliances, if you suspect your appliances may not be installed correctly, if your home has poor ventilation, or if you live in a newer home that is well insulated and sealed, you are at a higher risk for CO2 poisoning.

If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, please visit your doctor immediately. If you believe you have experienced these symptoms as a result of the negligence of another person or an employer, contact the law offices of Wagner Reese at (888) 204-8440 to schedule a free premises liability consultation.


Request Your Free Case Evaluation

Fill out the form below to get started or give us a call at (888) 204-8440 to speak with our legal team directly.

  • Please enter your First Name.
  • Please enter your Last Name.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.

Our Locations

  • Indianapolis Office: 201 N. Illinois St.,
    16th Floor - South Tower

    Indianapolis, IN 46204
  • Carmel Office: 11939 N. Meridian St.
    Carmel, IN 46032
  • Evansville Office: 815 John St. Suite 110
    Evansville, IN 47713
  • Fort Wayne Office: 3201 Stellhorn Rd
    Fort Wayne, IN 46815
  • Champaign Office: 701 Devonshire Dr., Suite C17
    Champaign, IL 61820